Roles and responsibilities of a School Council Member
Do you think you could represent your class as a member of the Birches First School Council? The role of a School Council Member:
· You will attend regular fortnightly meetings with other School Council members from each class.
· You will take ideas and suggestions your class have to discuss at School Council meetings.
· You will bring back ideas, information and suggestions to your class and encourage your class to listen, discuss, share their views and, where necessary, vote on actions that need to be taken.
· You will help to organise charity events throughout the year.
· You will encourage the pupils in your class to be aware of their school environment and to respect and care for it.
· Some of the more senior School Council members will be responsible for specific tasks: – School Council Chairperson (leads the meetings). – School Council Secretary (writes the minutes of the meetings). – School Council Treasurer (manages the money – with Miss Varricchione).
Once chosen to become a member of the School Council, children in Years 4 will have the opportunity to apply for one of the above roles.
Specific qualities needed to become a School Council Member: As an individual, you may bring lots of additional skills and abilities to this role in particular, however to be a successful School Council member you need to:
· Be reliable.
· Be proud of our school and want our school to be the best it can be.
· Listen carefully to the views of others and take their ideas on board.
· Represent the majority view of your class, even if you don’t agree!
· Commit time to this role and accept that you may need to do things during break times and/or lunchtimes.
· Be enthusiastic.
· Be kind and respectful.
· Be patient.
· Know and follow our Golden Rules, Values and Moto…Believe, Grow, Succeed…to be the best ‘me’ I can be.
If you think this role is for you, then be brave and put yourself forward as a candidate to your class teacher. Miss Varricchione will inform class teachers when this time is (end of Summer Term 2).
What you need to do next: You will need to talk to your class for 2 minutes to explain why you want to be on the School Council, and explain how you will make the school better. Your class will then secretly vote for their favourite candidates. Class teachers will take the results and pass these onto Miss Varricchione.
Miss Varricchione will then inform the school who the School Council members are during celebration assembly.